Saturday, June 22, 2013

Quick Range Update

Today I drove about 40 miles and got some very odd mileage feedback from the car. I started at a full charge with 90 miles of charge based on the range I was getting on my other drives. I drove the first 15 miles or so on the freeway. I have already learned that freeway driving is much less efficient than city driving. But in the first 15 mile trip, I drove with the air conditioning on slightly and the radio on and lost 20 miles of range on that 15 mile trip. I averaged around 3.9 miles per Kilowatt hour.

On the trip back which covered the same 15 mile freeway drive and an extra 10 miles of city driving, I only lost a couple miles of range. This time I drove with the radio off and the air conditioning on again and used cruise control on the freeway. I averaged well over 5 miles per Kilowatt hour on that drive. Keeping in mind that the battery is a 19 kilowatt hour battery. In all I drove a little over 40 miles and the car is still registering a 60 mile range. That adds to great range that ultimately averaged between 100 and 105 miles for the day.

Therefore, today I have learned that city driving is more efficient than highway driving as the city driving actually added range. And if you do drive on the freeway, my suggestions are to use as few gadgets as possible inside the car such as the radio and air conditioning (either turn it off, keep it on low, or just use the fan which uses much less energy). Also using cruise control and driving slower either at the speed limit or a little below is much more efficient.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for creating this blog. I'm in the market for one, and your posts have been very helpful. When you get a chance, can you post about getting into the car and starting it? I'm a little unclear if the car has a smart key or just a regular remote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find it helpful. I will post about that soon, but to quickly answer your question, it does have keyless remote start and the brake pedal vibrates after you press the start button, and the dashboard shows a little graphic, to tell you the car is turned on since it doesn't make any noise.

      Delete
  2. I recommend looking into a lower priced level 2 charger by (upgrading) http://www.evseupgrade.com. I saved hundreds of dollars on the charger for my Nissan LEAF. My charger was ~$290. I plan on swapping it back for an original charger when I return my 3yr lease in April 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SparkGuy,

    You can find information on 240V charging for Spark EV at www.pluginnow.com/go/spark.

    There is a $500 incentive from GM available for Spark EV drivers that purchase a 240V charging station from Bosch.

    You can call Bosch at 877-805-3873.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about using the radio, it will have effectively zero impact on range. A/C will, but probably not all that much, and you can probably compensate by slowing down 5 mph or so on the highway. A short, tall car like the Spark will take an aerodynamic hit at highway speeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about he radio and AC usage. Follow a larger vehicle on the freeway and stay around 65 or so. This seems to make a huge difference in our EV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and in the driving tips menu in the car, it says that if you slow down to a little under the speed limit and use cruise control as often as possible, it will be much more efficient. And I've found doing both really does help.

      Delete
  6. @Spatkguy: please join us on Facebook at Chevy Volt Owners. There are over 1000 owners there who can share their experience at pushing the range and who are ALL dying to hear from you.
    G. Michael Murphy Volt owner since 11/29/11 with 25,000 electric miles out of 27,800 driven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang phone. Fat fingered your handle!

    Murph

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep us posted on Facebook when you update new blog entries;
    thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm averaging about 5.4 miles per kWh so far...driven 300 miles total.

    ReplyDelete